Thursday, November 20, 2008

When in Rome… Don’t Look American

Saying goodbye to Barcelona was especially difficult because of how amazing it was there. We were completely spoiled by our experience there, and we both agreed that if we hadn’t already booked a flight to Rome, we would have stayed there a bit longer (if not the rest of the month!). Before we flew out, we had to go and see one more Gaudi building. We woke up at the crack of dawn to pack up and check out of Kabul hostel, and took our backpacks with us to Casa Mila (or La Pedrera which means stone quarry). We had seen it before from the outside, and had not been inside any of the houses yet, so we figured it was then or never. The inside of these buildings are just as impressive, if not more, as the outside. Casa Mila’s inspiration was either waves and kelp, or a sandy desert, however you wanted to interpret it (I swear I’m going to give you visual learners some pictures as soon as I am able to access internet for more than 15 minutes a day. In the meantime, look it up, okay? Thanks!). We said goodbye to Gaudi and Barcelona, and had a pretty uneventful Ryan Air flight to Roma (yes, I said uneventful, and I actually mean it for once!).

We arrived in Rome at around 5:30 and took a bus to our hostel, or should I say, to the ghetto. Kimmy and I were both silent as we walked through a dark alley way with greasy Italian men staring at us and actually meowing at us. Yes, meowing. Clearly we look like cats so when a man gave us a cat call from across the street we were ready to run over and go home with them. If only I didn’t have that bloody heavy backpack Daddy could have a new son-in-law. We dropped our bags off, and quickly decided to meet up with some friends we made in Spain who happened to be in Rome as well. I was starting to feel a bit sick and my throat was so scratchy I could barely swallow, but as they say, “when in Rome, do as the Roman’s do”, so I went with Kimmy and our friends on a pub crawl. I think everyone in the first pub could tell how cranky and miserable I was so they offered to give me a discount so I would shut my mouth and just walk around with all of them. I painted on my million dollar smile and imagined swallowing whole ice cubes to appear as if I were having a good time. Despite the fact that I felt awful, it was a fun way to see Rome on our first night. We walked all over the city and even though the other 49 people on the pub crawl won’t remember this, I saw some awesome sites late at night which was pretty spectacular. I took the next morning off because I woke up feeling awful. Rome was not getting off to a good start for me. However, I wasn’t about to let this fantastic city go to waste just because of a little sore throat. We went to the Colosseo for the afternoon and after walking inside, I forgot why I was so miserable. After that we took out a map and decided to see everything that we could possibly see before our legs collapsed. And so the check list begins:

- Area Sacrata
- Piazza Navona (had my 6 euro coffee for you Dad, Merry Christmas)
- Ara Pacis
- Trinita dei Monti (where I went to mass at the top of the steps like a good little Catholic)
- Fontana di Trevi (I threw in my 3 coins, made my wish, and will have to have a word with the fountain operators if I don’t marry Prince William)

We saw so much more, but the day quickly turned into a whirlwind blur of cough drops and ancient architecture. I got a good night’s sleep and woke up very early to make up for lost time the day before. First stop was the Vatican. My handy-dandy RDubs student ID card got me into the museum for 5 euro (if I hear one wise crack about graduating and being old I’m staying in Europe and not coming home. That is a serious threat so DON’T do it). We wandered around inside for a few hours and ended up in the Sistine Chapel where we were strictly forbidden to take pictures. Man, you won’t believe some of the amazing photos I took of the ceiling! Taking some advice from friends at home who have been to Roma before, I decided that taking a trip up to the top of the Basilica San Pietro was something I wanted to do. We stood in line for maybe a full 2 and a half minutes (contrary to what every tour guide on the street was telling us in hopes that we would pay them 50 euro so we could skip the line. H-A-H, two dumb American tourists? Try two street savy international beauties. – well, the New Yorker might be, but I can’t say the same for my small town Massachusetts friend who has been known to stop and chat with anyone who says Ciao Bella!). We decided to skip the elevator to the top, and took the stairs. As we took our first steps, we were wished good luck by a group of middle-aged women who really wanted us know they were too old to climb a few hundred stairs. I dropped a few pounds (weight, not currency) and got to the top to see the most incredible view of all of Roma. Honestly, I was speechless, and still am. There is nothing I can say about that view, and none of the 75 pictures I took from the top will allow you to see what I saw. After spending the day at the Vatican, we slowly wandered home and stopped at the Fontana di Trevi again because I decided I needed to make a more realistic wish (Prince William, I’m sorry, but I think I’m just too good for you).
Early tomorrow morning we are leaving to take a train down to Naples for a night or two. Everyone we have talked to about Naples so far says that we are going to be mugged and robbed and smacked around by big scary men, so I’m looking forward to it! Mom and Mrs. Spencer… WE ARE GOING TO BE FINE! *crosses fingers and sulks out of the Roma ghetto….*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In my experience, cats are not that wild about dogs. Next time, try barking back, or at least a low growl. I certainly am not looking for a son-in-law who is either greasy or in any sense feline, so please try to do better than that! Be careful in Naples, it is rough. Pompeii is great and best to head down to Amalfi, Portofino etc. Really enjoy reading these blogs. Keep them coming.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear you're getting in touch with your Italian side. Isn't Italy amazing! Italians are wonderful, just stay away from the greasy ones.

Glad you took back your wish from the Trevi fountain. I wouldn't want to have grandkids with protruding ears that look like Prince Charles.

When you're in Naples, take a picture with a big lemon tree, as I did when I was there. Stay safe - miss you.

P.S. Happy you went to mass ...

tigre said...

joanna, joanna, joanna....

i cant believe you didnt go to dar poeta. HUMPPHHH. but its ok...there is always next year! im glad you had a good time in rome and im very relieved to know you survived your first night out! the romans know how its done... i learned that VERY quickly. Naples as has some really great museums, there is no way your are museumed out so no excuses. but yea... you have to be like 3948239 times more careful there.. please for you mothers sake! GO TO CAPRI via the ferry from naples, meet some friends, rent a boat and take it around the island and go to ALL of the grottos. best.time.ever.

and also... for everyones sake avoid 95% of italian "ragazzi" they are creepers and wear their pants FAR too tight.

try to limoncello!

miss you/ it was wonderful chatting with you for .432 seconds earlier.

xo
meg