Monday, November 17, 2008

Donde Esta... umm, food?

The past few days have been a complete whirlwind. I’m sleep deprived, shower deprived, internet deprived, and text deprived, but you know what? I wouldn’t have it any other way. Barcelona has taken every concept of time and date I had so I am living in a world where people only exist for the moment they are in. It’s an amazing feeling.

We arrived at our hostel, Kabul, on Thursday night at around 12:30am. The hostel is located in Placia Reial on Las Ramblas which is THE place to be in Barcelona. The hostel was one huge pre-game party before everyone left to go to the bars and clubs at around 1:30am. I was not prepared to be nocturnal! Kimmy and I were exhausted from our journey, so we just got a good nights sleep before the city drained us of all our energy. On Friday morning the hostel provided a walking tour of the city and we decided to sign up for it. We made friends with some people on the tour with us who happened to be our roommates as well. These five people made Barcelona what it has been to me. They are each doing their masters at LSE in London and we all hit it off immediately. Each personality brought something to the group (I was dubbed as the cartoon character stuck in a real world with an abundance of energy and giggles… Sorry everyone from America, but this trip will never take the inner Disney kid out of me) and we ended up roaming through Barcelona attached to each other and having an amazing time touring the sites. We went to see many of the Gaudi buildings, my favorite being the Sagrada Familia which is a huge temple in the middle of the city. We went right up the inside of it and had a breathtaking view of all of Barcelona. Me and my stupid fear of heights made me the annoying Mama Jo (per usual) and I was flipping out on everyone who tried to sit the balcony a few hundred feet away from sure death had a crazed bird swooped down and pushed them with it’s beak (hey, it could happen!). Later that afternoon we went to Park Guell and climbed to the top of a hill to have yet another amazing view of the city. We all hung out at the top and had a siesta in the burning hot sun (I am TOTALLY bringing siestas back to the states with me… who said nap time had to end after kindergarten?!) Later that night we went out into the streets to get ourselves lost which was my idea of how to find the best local Spanish food. An hour later and my mouth was in cuisine heaven. After dinner we decided to check out the night life so at 2am we went out to a shot bar which had well over 100 different types of shots. I had one called a Willy Wonka, and another one which I have no idea what was in it, but they lit it on fire and handed me a marshmallow on a stick and I got to roast it on the flame before drinking it. Yeah, it was seriously cool and seriously tasty! Before I bore you with my hourly itinerary, the past few days consisted of a day trip to Sitges, a cable car ride over the water, a flamenco show, a long hike up Tibidabo, and a walk through the Barcelona ghetto (it’s okay mom, it was daylight.. kinda..).
I’m learning so much about so much. Not only cultural information and the history of the city, but a lot about myself. My newest thing which I learned I love is getting lost. I purposely take the wrong way so I can end up in a place that I didn’t expect to find. I’m also learning of a deeper inner-happiness within myself. Little things in live have always made me happy (like sippy-cups, and the cap of a Snapple bottle that clicks), but I’m realizing that the big things in life make me happy too. Meeting a group of the most amazing people and forming friendships that after 48 hours will last me a lifetime, is a huge happiness that I am now much more appreciative of.



Tonight is my last night in Barcelona and tomorrow afternoon we fly to Rome. I can only hope that the next stop on our journey is as amazing as the first two have been.

Bon Voyage Barcelona!

6 comments:

Kimmy's Mom said...

Thanks for the details! I don't get much from Kimmy! It sounds exciting and I hope you and Kimmy are spending Quality and fun times together.

Keep her on her toes, k?

Buenos noches!

tigre said...

excuse me missy... i think i deserve a shout out for the "100 shots bar" aka chupitos was it not amazing? I cant believe you are in rome right now!! have a wonderful time and if you find yourself at l'aventino think of me!! thats where i live... oh and Valentino's palazzo has a huge V on the gate and is right next to the spanish steps. make sure you go to Scholars and On the Rox (our local hot spot bars) and for some italian discotecca hit up Gilda!! idk how much longer you are there for, i wish i thought in advance to set you up with some of my friends who are abroad there now. UGH im SO jealous, tell roma ill be back in a few months!!

xxxo BE SAFE and watch out for the GYPSIES!!! (aka gli zingari... theres a little italian for you.

mille baci bella!
meg

also... i just had my final round interview - ill be chopping the bit till i find out the good news. :-/

Anonymous said...

Staying in an Afghan hostel in Catalonia: no wonder you are disoriented! Glad Barcelona and Sitges provided a good jumping off point for your invasion of Europe. Your blogs are great. More of them and more pictures! I can see a career for you hosting Globe Trekker! Say Hi to Roma and don't forget to have that cappuccino for me in Piazza Navona. Also, since you liked Highgate Cemetery so much, you might like to take a quick spin around the catacombs!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Megan is giving you a heads up on all of the best sites in Europe ... "100 shots bar", On the Rocks (another bar), Scholars (I guess another bar), etc. It's ok tigre, you can still be the adopted daughter for Thanksgiving.

Joanna, I hope you had a Paella while you were in Sitges. We had Paella there everyday for lunch when we were at the Olympics.

Can't wait to hear about your Italian adventure - yes, more pics please.

Enjoy the pasta!

XXX

Stace said...

I'm so jealous of your adventures! Can't wait to see pictures and hear more about Italy! Glad you are meeting new people and getting to see so much. Look forward to reading about your next adventure! Give my sis a hug for me ;-)

tigre said...

being that all i do is give you you late night suggestions... maybe its time for some educational ones...

go up to the top of the tomb of the unknown soldier for theee best view of roma

you must must must mustttt go to Dar Poeta for their nutella calzones- have it for dessert, TRUST me youll love me for this one. its in trastevere!!

check out the colloseum at night

dont even think about ordering just one flavor of gelato... get a mix like nicciola and stracciatella- my fav combo.

go to the ferrari store at the end of Via Del Corso and check out the $4000 skis... and then send them home to me?

be a good catholic and see the sistine chapel, its actually probably the most unbelievable place ive ever seen

and your dad is right about the piazza navona its one of my favorite places to relax grab a capp and have a panini!

right across from piazza navona is campo de' fiori... im trying to keep this educational but on a side note this place gets HOPPIN at night

if you walk through the piazza of campo there are some of the cutest streets in rome with vines hanging from the overpasses... worth wondering around and getting lost in

if you leave rome and dont go to dar poeta there will be SERIOUS problems when u return.

xxxxxoooo
mego