Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Now I Lay Thee Down to Sleep...

One of our recent day trip adventures was to Highgate Cemetery, located in Highgate, London, England. The cemetery was opened in 1839 as one of seven modern burial grounds when inner-city cemeteries became too full. This site is home to a number of famous deceased writers, actors, artists and philosophers; the most famous being Karl Marx.





Normally, cemeteries are not my favorite place to be. I have always been the girl to hold her breath while driving past one, so I don't breathe in their haunting spirits (whoever thought up that superstition must have had a really awful experience with a graveyard, so I'd rather not question it). However, this cemetery took my breath away (no pun intended). Stepping foot on the grounds made me feel as if I was walking into a Tim Burton movie. Highgate is completely overgrown with trees disturbing the eternal resting places of the departed, vines erasing the names of those buried, and a chilling wind which seemed to be pushing us out of the cemetery. Every time I walked through a spider web, I was thrashed by the corpse bride's veil, and when I crushed a leaf with my foot, Edward Scissorhands took a chunk out of my hair.

















Those who know me best are well aware of the fact that I don't deal with scary situations very well. I cry when I see a scary movie, I screech when somebody startles me, and I will violently hit you if you even mention the clown from Saw (I'm serious... Don't do it). So for me to say that Highgate Cemetery was frightenly beautiful, you know that there is something wonderfully unique about it that put my fears at ease.




Take a look at this video for a quick walk through the cemetery:

No comments: