Wednesday, October 8, 2008

It's Begun...

In my efforts to procrastinate joining the "real world" as long as possible, I have left the great states of America to see what else this wold has to offer. As a 21st birthday present from my parents last year, I was given a one-way ticket out of the country. It was a bit of a joke at first, but the idea to ship me out was very real. After graduating in May (or as my diploma says, August... Thanks to Roger Williams for letting my community service slip through the cracks) I was unsure of what I was supposed to do. Without any real plans for what to do next, a professor of mine gave me a lead for an internship which I happily went on an interview for. After hardly any work on my part, the internship fell into my lap, which quickly turned into an offer for a full-time job in Rhode Island. Knowing I still had this one-way ticket to cash in on from my parents, I had almost jokingly went into my boss's office asking for a three month vacation while I frolicked around Europe with my friend Kimmy. He agreed to hire me in January, and the rest is history!

Kimmy and I booked a flight from New York to London without any plans of what to do once we got here. After a hundred emails and phone calls later, we arranged for my English grandmother (GM as she insists on being called) to pick us up from the airport and bring us back to her house in Odiham, and then have my aunt pick us up from her house and bring us to her house (more like a castle) to spend the night. Our flight took off from New York on Monday night, and since then we have left America, been to Odiham, Dodington, went for a long walk in the New Forest, seen my grandmother, my aunt, gotten about 7 hours of sleep, and it is now Wednesday afternoon. Ugh!

In a little while my aunt will be driving us to London where we will be staying with a very good family friends Rob Wilson. Every year we see him and his family in Provincetown where we all go on vacation. One of his sons, Josh (who I am very close with) is away at University, so Kimmy and I will be staying in his room for a month while he is away. Neither of us are entirely sure of what we will be doing in London yet, but a few weekend trips are planned to go visit my family and friends all over England.

No comments: